Sunday, April 8, 2012

Running Into Trouble...

run v. to move at a speed faster than a walk, never having both feet on the ground at the same time...

Well it's been several weeks since I last blogged and there have been lots of ups & downs since then. We are now doing 3 minute runs/1 minute walk x 6 sets! It is unbelievable to me that I am able to run for 18 minutes!!!

Not that it hasn't been without it's challenges. There have been a LOT of aches and pains. From my glutes (always sore); my chins (frequently sore) to my right hamstring and right Achilles tendon (this scared me). All of these problems resolved with rest, ice, stretching, Epsom salts, Ibuprofen, etc and with some great advice from my running instructors and Erin. My biggest fear has been getting injured and not being able to continue. I have learned in the last few weeks that my age and weight have no bearing on my ability to succeed. Staying healthy and injury free is my number one priority. Things that I've learned in the past several weeks: your breathing will take care of itself if you don't think about it; what you eat in the hours before you run is critical; and I'm not sure that talking while running is possible :-D

I am amazed at how far a positive attitude can get you. Each week in training I am surprised at what this old girl can accomplish – both mentally and physically. I have learned to shut off my mind from negative thoughts – like worrying as each week starts about how I’m going to be able run longer. I just go there and somehow manage to it and each successful run keeps me coming back for more. Not once have I allowed my inner voice to say "I just can't do this". Because I've proven, week after week, that I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment