Friday, March 9, 2012

Shopping Trip Run Amok!

With my Learn to Run program starting soon it was time to go shopping. This might be the least painful part of running - the clothes, shoes and accoutrements! I needed gear that would keep me warm/cool, dry, reduce the jiggle factor and shoes that would give me wings (I realize now that this was a tad optimistic!)

Number one on the list was running shoes (otherwise known as sneakers in C.B.) In this vital area I could not cheap out. After visiting the top two places in the city and having a gait assessment, my feet have been measured for...a size 9.5 !!!!! What the heck!! Even with some dependent edema, perhaps a size 9, but a 9.5???? These beauts resemble twin cruise ships on my feet - a veritable Queen Mary and Titanic (note plug for 100 year anniversary). Lets hope my feet don't suffer the same fate as the latter! Happily my vanity is appeased because the trim on my new shoes exactly matches my recently purchased half price North Face running jacket! Just putting on this gear makes me feel more like a runner! That is, until I start shopping for "the pants", then things go south quickly.

I couldn't wait to get a real pair of running pants. You know, the ones you see on the SERIOUS runners. The ones that make their legs look strong and sleek. I scan the racks searching for my usual large, but once found this size appears much, much smaller than out in my Reitman's Yoga Pants world :-/ The clerk is cheerily optimistic as I shimmy and wiggle my way in, not liking the muffin top spillage, but hey, from the front they're not too bad. Then I make the BIG MISTAKE of turning around for a rear view!!!!! Now I know why people wear those running jackets that are longer in the back than the front. Not to keep their bottom warm, but to conceal the dreaded jiggle factor!!! But, hey wait a minute, these are oh so comfortable and the fabric feels absolutely awesome on my legs. Eventually I leave the dressing room and finally the store with "the pants" in hand and the most expensive pair of socks I have ever purchased! I'm ready!!


Gotta go. I'm Running Late...Literally!

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Joanne, you have inspired me. Today I dug the "running pants" out of the gym bag I have been carrying back and forth to work for weeks, in hope of fitting in a run over lunch. I am going to try to join the run on Wednesday night and see if I can keep up.

    I may need to do a little shopping first though, I think I need new shoes :)
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to find the time and inspiration - especially when your body is sore and tired :-)

      Delete