Monday, May 21, 2012

I Ran This Town!



The person who starts the race is not the same person who finishes the race...
 ~author unknown



The Bluenose Marathon Weekend was a great success.  Record-breaking turnouts & picture perfect weather...I planned to take in all the events of the Bluenose weekend & that's exactly what I did. From the talk by John Stanton on Friday night to the Goodlife Fitness Expo on Saturday to the Molson Post-Race Party on Sunday night. 
May 20th dawned & race day was finally here.  I didn't sleep much the night before and had a very disturbing dream in which I arrived at the race in the wrong sneakers and without my orthotics!!!! Nevertheless, I was pretty excited as I got ready and put on my charity team t-shirt with my very first bib, which had my name on it :-) I ended up raising $275 for Team Love4Gambia & to be running for a good cause certainly was an added motivation throughout my training. Thanks to Gina for her donation & very encouraging words on Saturday - this really felt great going into the race :-) I was happy to see so many others wearing the same shirt and running for the same great cause! 
 
Remember...I have never even been a spectator at a race before, so everything was new and exciting :-) One of the highlights for me was lining up with 2000+ people for the 5 km race. The spectators cheering, the music pumping us up - it was incredible! Everybody around me was happy, smiling and totally excited.  A Goodlife instructor warmed us up and it was fantastic - like we were a flash mob all doing the same moves :-) The weather was absolutely perfect, but not for me :-) I don't like to exercise in the heat and my performance really suffered - I'd rather the cold, wind, rain...really anything but heat. But then I remembered how Erin ran 424 km across the Gambia last year in 40+ heat so I put my game face on and we were off.


I found the water station situation very strange - the first one was barely into the race and another just a little further along...and then nothing! I had hoped for more water, especially after running up Citadel Hill, but there was none again until the finish line. I had been told by many that I wouldn't need to take my own water because it was just 5 km.  I definitely struggled in this weather, especially after the hill and I was not able to maintain 10 & 1 cycles. The heat really did me in, but I enjoyed it as best I could and loved the view of Halifax from atop the hill.


The highlight of the day was definitely the home stretch when I spotted Erin, her sister, and Greg holding their sweet baby girl - Regan.  Erin spotted me, screamed my name and ran out for a high-5.  Suddenly I took off for the finish line, so happy to see her as she has been such an inspiration to me. Thanks Erin for getting me across the finish line!!! Crossing that is really a blur - mainly because my brain was deprived of oxygen - ha! What a thrill to get my medal - I didn't take it off and even wore it to the party that night!!! Yes, I am a newbie running nerd and proud of it :-)


I did feel bad that it was not a good run for me and that it took me so long (42:31). In retrospect I think it would have been better to have had someone to run the race with...however I had to really put those negative thoughts out of my mind and to celebrate all that I had accomplished. 


I LEARNED TO RUN!!!


I ran 5 km :D 


I RAN THIS TOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Gotta go. I'm Running Late...Literally!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experience Jo...you've not only been able to capture the pure joy of running, but I'm sure you've managed to inspire a few people along the way! What an accomplishment...no one can ever take that away from you. I hope you continue running, and we're going to hold you to that 10th anniversary 10k next year!
    Congrats again!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Gina for those kind words!! My first run post Bluenose is tomorrow night - I have set up a small group of 5 ladies from the clinic and we're committed to running at least 3 times/week. I also have 2 of my nieces on board for the 10 km race next year - just have to take care of my body and stay injury free!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Runner: Jo, I love this race report. I'm so glad you wrote it, now you'll always have it. One of the best things about your first race at a specific distance is that you always set a personal best. I'm honored that my high five was one of the highlights of your race and that you were thinking of me and the Gambia during the heat- it's really touching. You learn so much from each race you run, I'm so thrilled that you'll be lacing up and lining up at another one. You're highly welcome to the world of road racing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Erin! I really appreciate the support that you and Gina have given me. The suggestions, comments, even the thumbs up really give me a lot of encouragement :-)

    ReplyDelete